One of the greatest horror movies of all time, and my personal favorite Christmas horror movie, is coming home this December just in time to make the perfect gift for genre fans, and Scream Factory has announced details of its upcoming 2-disc Collector’s Edition blu-ray release of Bob Clark’s original 1974 Black Christmas.
While Bob Clark may be more often recognized for his other holiday classic A Christmas Story, a decade earlier he gave us a masterpiece of suspense, which obviously helped inspire John Carpenter’s approach to Halloween, and a downright creepy story of a group of sorority girls terrorized over Christmas break.
The film stars the future mother of Norman Bates, Olivia Hussey (Psycho IV: The Beginning, Romeo and Juliet), and the future Lois Lane, Margot Kidder (Superman, Rob Zombie’s Halloween II), as well as John Saxon (A Nightmare on Elm Street).
The new 2K scan was made from the original film negative and retains the grain and softness you would have seen during its original release in 1974, as Scream Factory has not applied any digital noise reduction and restored the original 1.85:1 aspect ratio used in U.S. theaters. Unfortunately, the negative had suffered some damage over the years but we have taken great efforts to clean it up as much as possible.
In making this overall release as comprehensive and definitive as possible, the 2-disc set also includes the prior HD version on Disc 2 (with some previous audio sync issues now corrected) for those who may prefer it’s 1.78 aspect ratio.
Scream Factory’s new Black Christmas Collector’s Edition 2-disc blu-ray set will be released on December 13, but if you pre-order directly from Scream Factory you will get it shipped early plus receive an exclusive 18″ x 24″ poster of the newly-commissioned artwork (while supplies last). You can pre-order yours here.
Read on for the full list of bonus features and specs to be included and to view the new cover art!
• NEW 2016 2K scan of the negative (1.85:1) – DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1, DTS-HD Master Audio Mono
• Audio Commentary with director Bob Clark
• Audio Commentary with actors John Saxon and Keir Dullea
• Audio Commentary with Billy (actor Nick Mancuso)
• Audio interview with director Bob Clark
• 2006 Critical Mass HD Master (1.78:1) – DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1
• NEW Film and Furs – Remembering Black Christmas with Art Hindle
• NEW Victims and Virgins – Remembering Black Christmas with Lynne Griffin
• Black Christmas Legacy
• 40th Anniversary Panel at FanExpo 2014 featuring John Saxon, Art Hindle, Lynne Griffin & Nick Mancuso
• On Screen!: Black Christmas featurette
• 12 Days of Black Christmas featurette
• Black Christmas Revisited featurette
• Archival Interviews with Olivia Hussey, Art Hindle, Margot Kidder, Bob Clark, & John Saxon
• Midnight Screening Q&A with Bob Clark, John Saxon and Carl Zittrer
• Two scenes with a new vocal soundtrack
• Original Theatrical Trailers (English and French)
• Original TV and Radio Spots
• Alternative Title Sequences
• Still Gallery
For more Halloween news, follow @HalloweenDaily.